Question
Posted by: Trevor | 2004/10/20

achilles pain

Hi.

I think I have a problem with my Achilles, when i go for a jog , after 10 minutes more or less, I get a burning like pain between my ankle and my calve , I do stretch before I go, but It don’t work.
It has been like this for a while. I played hockey the last 2 years.
I’m almost 22

T.Smith

Hi Trevor

You should not run through the pain. Taking medication is also probably not a great idea. I think the best thing to do is to take a 2 week break from running, perhaps try cycling instead. Then, you can strengthen the tendon using single-leg heel raises. Stand on the edge of a step with your heel over the edge. Raise your whole body up using your ankle and calf muscle. you will probably feel some strain in the calf. Do this 10 times on each leg, and perform 3 sets during the day. If you feel pain, then stop. This type of exercise has been found to be successful in treatment of achilles tendinopathies. However, you must remember to stretch very well, and to take as much strain off the tendon as possible.

You might also wish to try running on softer surfaces - not too soft as this can be even worse for tendons, but grass and dirt are good bets.

Finally, remember that there is probably some underlying cause to the problem, such as muscle strength imbalance or weakness, and so the exercise above may help, but you should also consider seeing a physiotherapist or sports injuries specialist who can diagnose the problem personally, and prescribe other activities..