Question
Posted by: Claire | 2004/11/12

Accuracy of platelet counts

My 4 yr old son has ITP. His platelet counts have remained below 10 for the past month. What I would like to know is how accurate is the machine that does the count? When his count was over the 30 mark he fluctuated between 30 and 90 whereas now he has only fluctuated between 8 an 11. I am trying to determine if his counts have decided to settle at such low numbers.
Claire

Expert ImageArchive

It depends on the type of instrument, but you can accept that with the internal end external controls used in SANAS accredited laboratories the values will be within accepted deviation norms or standards. You must, however, remember that any fluctuation is most probably due to intrinsic factors, i.e. due the biological and other factors influencing platelet production and destruction in his body.