Question
Posted by: Kirby | 2008/01/19

accommodation for a week breakaway

Hi All,
My spouse and I are taking leave in March (26 years toghether) and would like to go to Hermanus or Knysna for a week. Any suggestions as to where we can stay (not to expensive) Must be gay friendly!

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi again Kirby and congrats on your 26th anniversary - a huge achievement!

Most venues are gay-friendly - if they aren't they're guilty of discrimination - but I know what you mean, you'll just feel more comfortable in a gay-owned venue. Certainly in Knysna there are many gay-friendly venues (visit the Knysna Pink Loerie website for a list of these - do a Google search) and I know of a fab gay-owned venue in the beautiful Wilderness area which is owned by a gay DP Member of Parliament whom greatly I admire for being out in the political climate of our country, while several gay ANC MP's remain in the closet. Call me on 021 448 3812 during office hours and I'll give you the telephone number. Or do a search, using our forum's search engine, for a post related to this venue – I recall a post about this particular venue.

I have a gripe against our tourism industry - what exactly does a "gay friendly" hotel or guest-house mean? This needs to be defined. While Protea Hotels, for example, claim to be "gay friendly", would it be OK for me to kiss my partner at the breakfast table at their hotel in Kimberly or in Upington? Would they protect my partner and I from other guests who may frown at us? Do they have a sign up in the reception area saying that they are opposed to discrimination on the grounds of race or sexual orientation? Do they actively employ gay and lesbian staff?