Question
Posted by: Belle | 2004/10/13

Accident

This weekend our little dog managed to get out of the gate and into the road. A car hit her on her back left side. I took her to the vet immediately and he had a look at her. She has some grazes on her hind legs but they are superficial. The problem is she wont stand on her left hind leg. She lets me touch it and put the cream on the grazes and it doesn't seem to hurt when I move it. The vet doesn't think it is broken but it might be dislocated in which case he thinks he will have to operate. The problem is that my husband won't let me have it fixed as it will cost to much. He insists that we have her put down, but she is an otherwise very heathy dog. Do I have any other options? Is she in pain if it is dislocated? Would it be OK to leave her as she is and see how it goes? I know it sounds cruel and unfeeling but I would rather have her limping than put her down.

It is possible that the leg is continuously painful (as suggested by the limp) therefore leaving it unattended is not fair on the dog. If you cannot afford to have the work done at the veterinarian, at least consider taking it to a welfare organisation where they employ vets. Please try to have a vet look at it again, in all fairness to your dog.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

5
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/20

Hi Belle,

I know this is difficult, especially if your partner is not as caring as you are.

You have to take the reigns here and tell him that as a pet owner, you have a responsibility to the animal. If he agreed to have a dog, he must be prepared for the cost involved.

If it were a child, he could not put the child down or he would be imprisoned.

I doubt he will see the simile but just like a child, a domesticated animal is defenceless and completely relying on you for its survival.

Do the right thing and if he is unhappy tough, you don't need the approval of the immoral

Reply to Davina
Posted by: El | 2004/10/18

Tell me Belle, but didn't the vet do an x-ray to see if anything is broken? Cause it sounds like that he isn't sure and because of this your poor dog is probably suffering. Your husband should be the one to be put down.

Reply to El
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/14

Having disclocated something once I can say she is in pain. Please try to find a way to take her to the vet - perhaps you can pay him off?

If you think about how much she loves you, and how loyal she is to you its worth it. She is completely dependant on you, imagine if you were in her position and someone had your husband's attitude about you.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/13

Do you have an SPCA in your area? They usually have clinics and may be able to help you.

Sounds like a good idea re the husband... sounds like he's not a very caring kind of person anyway!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Silver | 2004/10/13

Got the answer - put your husband down, take the your dog to the vet and have him/her x-rayed. The answer will be in the x-ray.

Reply to Silver