Posted by: Carmen | 2009/04/13

Abusive drug and alcohol addict

Please help me with advice on rehabilitation services for my brother, age 24, who is a serious alcohol and prescription drug addict. He is currently living with my parents and he is extremely abusive towards them, steals their money and belongings and I am afraid that if this carries on he is going to OD on some or other substance soon! He has been in numerous institutions like Vista and has landed in hospital with a serious bleed in the stomach, but none of this has helped him realise what he is doing to himself or the people around him. My father is experiencing serious health problems and cannot deal with him any longer and my mother is emotionally drained and will have a nervous breakdown if this continuous. We need help urgently PLEASE! Is there an institution that can remove him from the home and help him, help all of us????

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It should not be tolerated that he abuses or steals from his parents. Call the police and lay charges of theft, and the court can send him to a state institution to deal with his addiction. SO long as your parents try to p[rotect him from the consequences of his own choices and actions, he will have no need and no motivation to seriosuly seek and work with help. The police can also help to invoke some sections of the law that allow for compulsory treatment, if necessary. DO not allow him to destroy the lives of others, especially your par ents.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Abegail | 2009/04/13

Hi Carmen,

sorry to hear about you brother. He sounds like my sister (POST: DRUG ADDICTED SISTER).

Have your parents kicked him out? The ' tough love'  route? Have they seen the police about him? Have they spoken to the doctors that keep prescribing the drugs to him?

I know exactly how you feel- I am scared for my sisters life. It is the worst feeling in the world.

Is there no way your parents can lock their valubles up? Change the locks to the house and literally do a lock out?

He will carry on with this as long as your parents allow him to run their lives.

Reply to Abegail

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.