Posted by: Sister | 2008/12/07

Abuse of Elderly Parents

Where do I start to get help for my parents who are being emotionally and financially abused by my brother who is 54years old and living with them. He receives a disability pension for mental illness. He takes his medication but as he gets older he is getting more and more threatening.The whole situtation for my parents and brother is a nightmare. He ahs beento TARA and he now says they wont have him back there. How do we find out why and what he was in there for. What if he kills my parents!!.
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It should be acceptable for you to ask to see his doctor, perhaps contacting him / his office first by phone and then by letter, explaining that you are concerned about how to manage thios very difficult relative who is abusing his parents and that you fear for their safety --- no doctor can afford to ignore the possibility that a patient may be a danger to others (indeed that is grounds for compulsory admission and treatment, potentially ). Explain that you seek to understand his diagnosis and whether it is true as he says that Tara will not re-admit him, and why this is and what else you should do about his misconduct. If he is seriously ill, they ought to continue to treat him --- it may well be that in addition to whatever basic psych illness he may have, they see the problem as largely one of an antisocial personality, and that may be why they may find him disruptive and untreatable. They need to advise you as to whether he is any potential risk to his parents, and, broadly, whether in crisis you should call them or the police, to handle him. Emphasize to the people at Tara to whom you speak, that it is his potential danger to others that most worries you, and should worry them, too

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Alex | 2008/12/08

Please contact HEAL - Halt Elder Abuse Line on 0800 003 081

Reply to Alex
Posted by: Nozi | 2008/12/08

Oh please get him out of your parents home, they are old and need to relax, TARA is a mental hospital and home, for the deeply depressed, menatl case' s etc.If he was a in patient then his totally mental and dangerous to society let alone your parents, his insane, sorry to be harsh here, some when on meds can be controlled but others are just that insane.
Speak to a social worker there are homes where they can install your brother, you can get a court order to get him committed, these depressed people are not in their right minds when they go off and can easily kill your parents. Case closed. Was he born this way or is it caused from Depression etc.get him away from your parents ASAP.
Just having him with them will cause heart attacks, the stress, living in fear etc.

Reply to Nozi

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.