Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

Abuse at work

Hi is there anything that I can do? My boss came to me last week and looked at me said "Raise" then shook his head and said "You don't deserve it"

This is the second year in a row, last year I didn't get one cause I was in a serrious car accident when it was time for increases. Now this year after working my butt off after coming back to work I get told that I don't deserve it.

I was off the previous week Mon and Tue with gastro, I brought a doc's note came to work on Wed, ended up with a migrane from hell. When I get migranes I can do nothing for a few days!!, brought a dr's note for the thursday and the friday. Now I get a letter that he wants proof that I had a Migrane. They have been trying to get rid of me since my car accident last year. I don't know how much more I can take! Even my Doctor k*ked me out and said "why haven't you left .........? You know that is why you are getting ill and the headaches."

What do I do? Is there something that I can do?

I have worked here for 6 years and I am seriously thinking of resigning tomorrow.

Sounds like he is being unreasonable, and maybe you should consult the Dept of Labour / CCMA, and your own company's HR dept. And there are potentially very effective treatments for Migraine nowadays, which could be worth trying.
And I guess one of the general rules is to beware of "family companies"

18
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

Thanks Guys. hold thumbs. I have decided to hand in my resignation tomorrow

Reply to Desperate

Desperate i a very honest person too.i know how good i was with my job. and i used to get jobs due to reference i couln't.
besides though they kept on shouting at me i know for a fact that they were going to tell a different story.
i asked someone who knows me very well for a recommendation here now i moving on.can't wait to start a new life

Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

How? I am a very honest person so I don't know if I would be able to lie

Reply to Desperate

You know what don't stress too much about the reference thing.
that can be arranged

Desperate,my sister
i'm working for a family business and leaving tomorrow after five years with them.
i know how difficult that can be and even though they were abusing me i was always afraid to leave thinking the same what if i don't get a job.
anyway i visited career function website and get job alerts almost everyday.
was called for interviews and always saying i was sick which they were mad about it
until one day when i was et a call from an agency that was based in Pretoria and i'm in JHB.
hubby took me there cause i don't even have a car
voila..i'm starting my job in a very very big company with a big salary.
try agencies you will never know where your luck is hiding
or call CCMA for advice their call center no is 0861161616

Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

I would love to but I am scared. what if i can't find work? I have a daughter to support and no maintenance. I am not sure if i can do it but one thing is for sure that i can no longer work here.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Lauren Auder | 2007/03/29

I agree with John - leave and take them to CCMA for constructive dismissal. But 1st speak 2 sumone with knowledge of labour law. But the way you describe things - u definately have a case against them. Let them pay.....

Reply to Lauren Auder
Posted by: Britty | 2007/03/29

Dear Desperate

I worked for a family business like you are in right now and because they own the business its okay to treat you badly, it will never change - at least in a large company you are treated more humanely. Any prospective employer can see that you stick it out from the 6 years that you have spent there. Do your health a big favour, get another job and then leave - if you first leave and then get a new job it will be difficult to explain why you left plus a prospective employer will phone your pesent employer for a reference.

Good luck.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: John | 2007/03/29

You need to get out of there. Its not easy as I say I know but you have zero future in that company - look at what 6 years of loyalty has brought you.

Then, after you resign, take them to the CCMA and have them charged for constructive dismissal (this basically means that they made your life difficult enough to force you to leave which is an unfair labour practice).

Have no illusions about this: you are been abused and it will never get better. YOU MUST GET OUT NOW.

Reply to John
Posted by: pissed off | 2007/03/29

Tell him if he pays you six months, you'll get out of his hair. Then you can take your time to look for another job.....

Reply to pissed off
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

i thougt it was only 8 days per year? well they took my sick leave and annual leave for the accident. I have nothing till July

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/29

You are entitled to six weeks PAID sick leave in a period of 36 months.

Dont let them get away. Are they registered for UIF/IOD and all that? Cuz if they are not registered for UIF jsut sweetly tell them that you WILL be claiming from the fund

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

I have no sick leave as it was all taken when i had the car accident. it is no work no pay. I hate staying off work when i am sick because it impacts on my salary too much.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/03/29

How much sick leave did you take this year and how much do you have left?

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

I asked him and he said that I am sick too often I was only sick with gastro and then the Migrane. he also said that an increase is not a given it is at the discretion of the manager and he felt that i didn't deserve it.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/03/29

Ask him to write a letter for you why you don't deserve a raise!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/03/29

Unfortunately the company I work for is a "family business" everyone is either cousins, brothers, sisters, in-laws, wives, husbands and of course children, nieces and nephews. I am an outsider but I thought that after 6 years I might be accepted, then I had the car accident and was off for 4 months (learning to walk etc). came back and they called me in and offered me 3 months pay to leave immediately or face a diciplinary hearing for not telling them in time about the accident. I was in icu for over a week. My dad, brother and a friend all called on the monday after the accident and told them.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/29

Do you have an HR department that you can speak to or would you get nailed for that too?

Reply to RMC