Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2004/10/05

ABSTRACT MIND HELP.....

My son is 8 years old in Grade 3, he is an extremely intelligent and very matured child for his age.

A very unpleasant incident happened at school yesterday. This morning I went to confront her and as I expected she was very apologetic etc. During our discussion, she mentioned that when she explains the work to the kids my son often looses concentration. In addition, she noticed that when explaining / giving instructions, he often says I know what I must do and only does it half as he “switches off” when the rest is being explained. i.e. he assumes he knows what to do. She gets frustrated with him. I noted at home he likes to be “spoon fed” lately when he does his homework I let him do all on his own and if there are mistakes I point them out and he simply just have to redo them? This is right.

Is he trying so hard at school that he hits a blank.......is he lazy...

She described him as having an abstract mind. Can anyone give me some information / assistance?

There are so many possible explanations for this situation, the best thing to do would be to take your son to see a child psychologist or child psychiatrist for a full assessment and advice on what's wrong and how best to handle it.
As lulu says, this could be ADD, or childood Depression, o various other conditions, all of which can be improved.

1
Posted by: lulu | 2004/10/05

Sandy, My son had the same symptoms and was later diagnosed with ADD. He might be perceived as ABSENT minded, but abstract has got nothing to do with it.

Your son is definitly not lazy. He just battles to concentrate. Since he's very intelligent, try asking the teacher to explain things to him in as few words as possible. She should not go off on a long and detailed explanation, because he only takes in the first half of her instruction then. Also, it is important that she makes eye contact when talking to him.

If he has ADD, all he needs is support and understanding. My son was on Ritalin for a year, but I weaned him off it. He's been off meds for more than two years now, and he's doing great. I decided to give him more support and help him as much as possible, without spoon feeding. It went with lots of tears and screams in the beginning, but he's a slightly above average performer in Gr6 today.

I must admit, it takes a lot more effort from me, but it's worth it. My opinion: Have your son checked out by a paediatrician. Preferably a paediatric neurologist, but they're not easy to come by and expensive.

Good luck and I hope all turns out well for you and your boy. (o:

Reply to lulu