Question
Posted by: SANDY | 2004/10/05

abstract mind

My son is 8 years old in Grade 3, he is an extremely intelligent and very matured child for his age.

A very unpleasant incident happened at school yesterday. This morning I went to confront her and as I expected she was very apologetic etc. During our discussion, she mentioned that when she explains the work to the kids my son often looses concentration. In addition, she noticed that when explaining / giving instructions, he often says I know what I must do and only does it half as he “switches off” when the rest is being explained. i.e. he assumes he knows what to do. She gets frustrated with him. I noted at home he likes to be “spoon fed” lately when he does his homework I let him do all on his own and if there are mistakes I point them out and he simply just have to redo them? This is right.

Is he trying so hard at school that he hits a blank.......is he lazy...

She described him as having an abstract mind. Can anyone give me some information / assistance?

Sandy, this is not the kind of diagnosis one can make over the Net, but it sounds like there might be a bit of an attention deficit. Ask your doctor to give you one of the questionnaires/rating scales to give to his teacher for her to fill in. It will help you determine whether he has an attention deficit or not. Good luck.