Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2004/10/01

Absorbtion of nutrients

I have had a total collectomy and feel that most of the food I eat doesn't get digested properly. Any raw vegetables hardly get broken down. I always seem to be tired and have no energy.
Is there anything I can do without taking all sorts of vitamins?
Please help.

Dear Debbie
You are correct. The transit time in your digestive system is speeded up because you lack a colon and I would urgently advise you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian help you by working out a diet that is easier to digest and provides you with a higher nutrient content. She/he will also give you guidance on how to prepare food so that it is easier to absorb nutrients.
Hope you will soon feel much better.