Question
Posted by: michelle | 2003/12/10

absess

Dont know if you would be able to help. About 2 weeks ago I had a tooth extracted because of an absess. The swelling from the absess hasnt gone down at all during the last 2 wks since the tooth has been removed. I have spoken to my dentist and he assures me that there is no need to be concerned as long as there is no pain or growth, he says the absess was in the advanced stages and thats why its going to take a while to break down.
I am not experiencing any pain, I just want to know if there really is no need to be concerned that the absess hasnt gone down or should I go and get a second opinion from another dentist?

Michelle, two weeks is a long time and if it hasn’t gone done at all, a second opinion would not be such a bad idea. If it drains something if you press on it, you should definitely see someone about it. Good luck.