Question
Posted by: irritated | 2008/01/05

absent period

i'm 18 and my period still hasn't regulated.. i was on the pill for a sist on one of my ovaries.. but i went off after the course was completed.. my last period was dec 3rd but it now hasn't come again.. before i was on the pill i'd only get my period sometimes every 2 months.. i started my period when i was 13 and it did stay regular for sometime but for the past year its hasn't been.. i don't want to go back on the pill because of weight issues.. i know its still early to be worried..but my breasts aren't even sensitive.. which normally happens before my period is about to come.. do you know what could be wrong?

It sounds like you are not ovulating. This can be normal for the first year or so after starting your periods, but should not continue this long. I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist to assess what the problem is.

1
Posted by: heather | 2008/01/05

have you been checked out for polycystic ovaries (different from a cyst on your ovary) - it's a hormonal imbalance that causes irregular periods. It's also related to excess weight. easy to get it checked out by a dr. Your ovaries would look like they have a string of pearls (all the follicles that didin't develop) and dr will do a fasting insulin test - insulin resistance can be related to weight gain.

Reply to heather