Question
Posted by: Paris | 2007/07/27

Abs Exercise - lower back problem

Goodday Doc

I'm looking for ABS exercise, but i've tried sit ups, which hurts my lower back. My whole back goes numb when i do it. I'm looking for some sort of exercise which won't hurt my back.
I'm female...
even if you have a website which shows pictures, will also be nice....

thank you

HI Paris

If you click on Programmes and then look at some of the 10km and 21 km programmes you’ll see some exercises that you can do – they are part of the programme. I suspect that you might be able to modify the situp though – perhaps it’s the full extension of the back that causes your pain and maybe a crunch will be a more suitable option for you. I think it’s likely to be a technique thing that is to blame for the numbness in your back.

On the point of weight loss, you need to be looking at cardiovascular type exercises as a priority, not these specific stomach ones. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The simple answer then, is to continue exercise and change your eating patterns. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

1
Posted by: Paris | 2007/07/27

Dear Doc

I forgot to add, I am 1.66, and weigh 55kg. But i just need to get rid of this terrible "roll" i have. My stomach is flat up to my belly button, where it forms a roll.
I follow a good diet, which consist of 3 meals a day, and 2 snacks. My meal contains, Fat, Proteins, Fruit, Vegetables, Carbs. The fat intake is about a milk cap size per day.
I'm following the Jorge Cruise way of eating, and it is working for me.

Reply to Paris