Question
Posted by: Geo | 2003/12/10

Abs

I am 58 years old and do extensive weight training. I have developed well over the past few years. I am fairly satified with my abs although I seem to have the problem that most men over 50 seem to have, well defined but a protruding stomach. Is there any excercise that can reverse this e.g. get a flat or concaved stomach ? I have heard of an excercise that Arnold Swartzenegger suggests i.e. suck ones stomach in ? What do you suggest ? I do not want to diet as I am not overweight and fear that if I diet I will lose muscle mass.

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Geo,

Yes some body builder and power lifters also have the situation you mention. The only way to properly flatten the tummy is to train the oblique muscles using twisting movements that vary your regular ab exercises. Also, many people suck in their tummy WHILE training their abs as well as adding the twisting variation to make the exercise even more potent.

I don't think dieting or limiting calories etc. will benefit you as you have mentioned. Just train in the way that I have advised, BUT, ask any personal trainer and Biokineticist and ask them to show you the proper form at the gym before you attempt adjusting your form.

Keep well and keep in touch,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

1
Posted by: Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist | 2003/12/11

Geo,

RE: CORRECTION:

The tummy muscles that you will want to train are the tranversus and rectus abdominus and not the internal and external obliques as mentioned before.

CB

Reply to Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist