Question
Posted by: charmaine | 2004/11/05

abortion risks

wanna know who true is this.
These are the Abortion Risks

Breast Cancer. The risk of breast cancer almost doubles after one abortion, and rises even further with two or more abortions.
Cervical Cancer. Women who have had one abortion face a 2.3 relative risk of cervical cancer, compared to women who have never had an abortion.
Placenta Previa. Abortion increases the risk of placenta previa in later pregnancies (a life-threatening condition for both the mother and her wanted pregnancy.)
Immediate Complications. Approximately 10 percent of women undergoing elective abortion will suffer immediate complications of which approximately one-fifth (2 percent) are considered life-threatening

Charmaine, I assume that you’re talking about elective abortions done because of unwanted babies. The picture changes a whole lot when you’re talking about spontaneous abortions and abortions due to medical illness.
The cancers statements are nonsense. There might be a little truth in the placenta previa thing if the abortion is done by curettage and the next pregnancy is soon after the abortion. I think that the percentage of women suffering serious complications after an elective abortion is probably lower than you stated.
That said, abortion is not without its complications – mentally as well as physically. I definitely don’t condone it, but it is up to the individual to make the decision and live with the consequences. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Linda | 2004/11/05

The first and second claims are a load of hogwash. The third and fourth claims may have a small degree of substance to them. If you are thinking of having an abortion, you should ensure that you have it done by a reputable gynaecologist.

If you are Rhesus Negative, you must INSIST on having an injection of Anti-D gamma globulin, especially if you are more than 10 weeks pregnant. (Some gynaecologists don't seem to know this. I had an abortion done many years ago, when I was 14 weeks pregnant, and the gynaecologist insisted that an injection of Anti-D gamma globulin would not be necessary, at 14 weeks of pregnancy, despite the fact that I am a Rhesus Negative mother). Don't ever make the same mistake that I did. You cannot believe everything that gynaecologists tell you.

Reply to Linda