Question
Posted by: charmaine | 2004/11/05

Abortion Risks

I wanna know who true is this.
These are the Abortion Risks

Breast Cancer. The risk of breast cancer almost doubles after one abortion, and rises even further with two or more abortions.
Cervical Cancer. Women who have had one abortion face a 2.3 relative risk of cervical cancer, compared to women who have never had an abortion.
Placenta Previa. Abortion increases the risk of placenta previa in later pregnancies (a life-threatening condition for both the mother and her wanted pregnancy.)
Immediate Complications. Approximately 10 percent of women undergoing elective abortion will suffer immediate complications of which approximately one-fifth (2 percent) are considered life-threatening

You have obviously read this somewhere. The problem with statistics is that they are easily manipulated. It may also be true that women who have abortions are more likely to be knocked down by a car.This does not mean that the one causes the other. So abortion certainly does not cause breast or cervical cancer. It is possible that ther eis a slightly higher rate of placenta praevia.
There is a complication rate to abortion, but 10% is too high, provided it is done in a supervised medical setting.

2
Posted by: Diane | 2004/11/05

Abortion definitely does not increase your chances of developing breast cancer, nor does it increase your chances of developing cervical cancer.

It may however put you an increased risk of developing placenta praevia (as does a previous caesarian section, or any uterine surgery, for that matter, by the way).

There is also a small risk of complications developing if it is performed by an incompetent or negligent doctor.

Reply to Diane
Posted by: francis | 2004/11/05

I think all these things can be true if the abortion is done at a later stage or if the doctor is not performing the abortion 100%.

You need to be careful who you choose to do this. I had a D&C done because my baby had died and this is the same way early abortions are done, so I don't think all this is true if you go to a hospital and a good doctor. I think backstreet abortions can be life threatening and doctors that don't care so if you decide to do this, pay a little bit more and go to a good gynae or doctor.

Reply to francis