Question
Posted by: Stranger | 2005/12/15

Abortion & Fertility by Bakkey

Re: Original Message posted by Bakkay No36 that you never replied to. I am curious as to how Abortion affect fertility. Should you want to do IVF/ ISCI after an abortion done on 6 weeks after ±9 years, what would the changes of success be?

Dear Stranger

I do apologise for the previous posting. I do not know how we missed your question.

Abortion per se does not affect fertility if done under sterile surgical conditions.
However, in cases where the products of conception have not been completely removed womb, this may predispose to infections and as a consequence could result in blockage of the fallopian tubes. It may also result in what what we would term low-grade endometritis; i.e an infection of the lining of the womb which could further affect the chances of implantation and therefore a pregnancy.

The indications to do IVF or ICSI are fairly strict and should not be the first line of treatment unless there are specific reasons to undergo such fertility treatment. A careful evalution of tubal status needs to be done as well as a full spermiogram before one can definitely suggest IVF / ICSI.