Question
Posted by: milli | 2004/11/08

abortion after three months safe?

a very dear friend of mine is going to have an abortion and she's three months pregnant.she went to a clinic and they told her it was too late to have an abortion because she's three months and it's illegal to have one at that stage of pregnancy is this true?also is it still safe to have one at that stage of pregnancy?are they greater risks?will she be alright?please somebody help me with the right answers so that i can give her all the information that she needs to know before going through with it.it's her decision to have the abortion,and i stand by her and support her unconditionally,but i'd rather have her and her baby than loose her through a "procedure gone bad".she's my best friend and all i got.please help before it's too late.

Accordign to the law, abortion can be done on request till 12 weeks. Thereafter there are specified reasons when it can be done. (risk to the mother's life, risk to the baby, rape or incest, serious socioeconomic circumstances).
The risks of bleeding and infection are greater after 12 weeks. It would be important that she have it done by supervised medical staff.

2
Posted by: Francis | 2004/11/08

This is a very very difficult decision and your friend must really go and see someone regarding her feelings. If she is to young she better tell her parents A S A P because she is going to start showing in the next month or two.

Abortions after 12 weeks won't be done and just tell her that the baby is already fully developed and maybe if she see the little one on a scan she might change her mind totally.

Adoption or to keep the baby and move on is her only choice at the moment and the sooner she accept that and enjoy her pregnancy the better for her and her unborn baby.

Please stay with your friend and help her through this difficult time, make sure she does not go for a back street abortion. She could die and or get very sick and the little one inside her will be killed in the worse possible way.

Stay in touch and good luck

Reply to Francis
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/08

Abortions are only legal until 12 weeks (3 months). Exceptions are where there is a proven problem with the baby.

All abortions are unsafe for the baby, as the baby dies. With regard to your friends health, as she would not be able to have a legal abortion done at this stage, she is very likely to suffer complications if she still has one done somewhere illegally (back street abortion).

Very good of you to stand by your friend, that takes a lot of courage. If she doesn't want to have the baby, perhaps try to get her to consider adoption. There are so many families who can't conceive.

I used to be very pro choice, but since having my own baby (un planned, but very much wanted), I get goosebumps and feel ill at the thought of a baby being aborted.

There has recently been research into the effects of abortion on women years after the abortion. Most suffer terribly with guilt, even if they were totally certain they were making the right decision at the time.

I'm not in your friends shoes, so can't judge her for her choices. She's lucky to have a friend to go through everything with her though.

Reply to Purple