Question
Posted by: tina | 2004/11/16

Abortion

Did a pregnancy test today - came back positive. My only problems being that
a. I suffer from Bipolar disorder with rapid cycling - which means that I'm on some serious medication (2 diff anti-depressants, 2 diff mood stabilizers daily).
b. I'm quite sure that the baby is not my boyfriends'. I met up with an ex about 3 weeks ago, and did the dirty - and the condom broke. I know, stupid of me to even get back in bed with my ex-boyfriend, but my medication wasn't stabilized yet (had an episode) and sometimes I just do stupid things then.

So I'm around 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant now (since date last period started) and I really cannot afford to go to Marie Stopes. Is there a cheaper alternative (excluding government clinics). I've heard about a medical abortion where you just drink 2 pills some time apart. How dangerous is this, and can I get it cheaply somewhere?

Thanx
Tina

Your options in terms of abortion are the Marie- Stopes clinic or a government hospital or a private gynaecologist. The abortion pill which you mention has to be prescribed by a doctor and the abortion supervised. This will not be a cheaper option.

1
Posted by: Beverley | 2004/11/16

Dear Tina

If you are taking LITHIUM, my guess is that you would qualify for a termination of pregnancy (ToP) on medical grounds, and would therefore not need to pay for the abortion. (That is provided you belong to a medical aid, of course).

It would be best for your gynaecologist to consult with your psychiatrist as soon as possible, in terms of the motivation required for the ToP. You should try to have the pregnancy terminated before the 11th week, if possible.

Don't try a DIY abortion. It could cost you your life. The pills you are referring to are called "Cytotec", but one cannot obtain them without a prescription.

Cytotec is not an extremely dangerous drug, but it does tend to cause diarrhoea. To help prevent a runny tummy and abdominal cramping, one should always take this medicine with food.

I really hope and pray you receive lots of love and support during this very stressful time.

Kind Regards,

Beverley

Reply to Beverley