Question
Posted by: Laine | 2004/10/26

Abortion

Hi Doc,

I had an abortion in September in a hospital. I ended up with a very bad infection and was given antibiotics and painkillers for the relief. I did have bleeding after the abortion and then a heavy period a week later. Is my body back to normal now or how long does it take for my periods to become regular again? I suffer from endiometriosis as well.

It can take a month or two after an abortion before your cycle gets back to normal.

1
Posted by: Nikki | 2004/10/26

When I had an abortion it took approximately six (6) months for my menstrual cycle to stabilize. For the first couple of months, I had the most horrific premenstrual tension. My periods seemed heavier than normal for a few months, and I also recall that I once had two periods in the space of one fortnight, approximately four months after the abortion.

I was just a little over 3 months pregnant at the time of the termination, and my hormones only returned to normal the same month that my baby would have been born. Extreme fatigue was another problem that I battled with for many months.

Reply to Nikki