Question
Posted by: worried | 2004/10/20

abortion

We think one of our friends is pregnant, the only problem is that she is only 19 years of age. Now we want to know does she needs her parents permission to get an abortion? Where can she get one? And what are the prices of these situations?

Can you inform me as quickly as possible please!!!

Thank you.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Dear Worried,

the first thing your friend needs to do is to have a test to find out if she is pregnant. If she is she should contact your local family planning clinic for further advice.

The cost will depend on whether it is conducted privately or within the state service.

I know its a frightening prospect, but you and your friend should think carefully about what it is she wants, and think things through carefully.

2
Posted by: worried | 2004/10/20

Regal, I want to thank you for your response, you have been great. Thank you for making it so much easier. I really wich there were more of you in this world.

Have a nice day.

Reply to worried
Posted by: Regal | 2004/10/20

I am a legal student and completed some family law modules. From a legal point of view, your friend don't need any permission to have an abortion, none. She is the only person who can decide whether she wants it or not. Nobody can deny her the right to an abortion. Any woman has a constitutional right to have children or not. There are some conditions though:
Before 12 weeks of pregnancy your friend can go for an abortion if she don’t want the baby.
Between 12 and 21 weeks she can still have an abortion if she cannot afford a child or any other economical reasons or if the live of the baby is at risk.
After 21 weeks she can only have an abortion if the pregnancy is live threatening to her.

If your friend feels she needs an abortion it is advisable to speak to someone before hand because this is no easy decision.

Reply to Regal