Question
Posted by: Ice | 2005/01/07

Abnormal Psychology: Eating Human Flesh (Cannibalism) (pls note: offensive topic)

Not sure if anyone saw it on SABC 3 last night? I came across this strange program and watched it out of curiosity: It was called "BodyShock: the man who ate his lover"

Basically in a Nutshell these 2 German guys got together, via the Internet. Man no. 1 had weird childhood, controlling mother, and had fantasies of eating peoplle since he was small.
Man no. 2 was secretively homosexual, had other types of issues, and had for a long time wanted someone to cut off his penis and consume it with him.

So. they got together and Man No. 1 (with some difficulty, believe it or not) managed to do what Man No. 2 wanted. Gross.
Man No. 2 was left to bleed to death in a bath, while his um.. Member was being fryed in a pan by Man No. 1 for further consumption. (Reminds me of Hannibal Lector).
what REALLY get to me (besides the whole eating bit) is that Man No. 2 was totally ok with the fact that he would be dying..
HELLO.. ? What happened to human survival instinct?

I don't have all teh details and they were too gruesome anyhow, but how on this earth is it possible for people to end up like that?
What's your take on this CS? - and whoever else feels like having a go at trying to explain this one.

anyway if I don't speak to you all again, have a great weekend.

I remember the actual case, but didn't watch the TV show, though it's highly vulgar title suggests it was sensationalized. It takes profound vulgarity and really morbid skill to manage to sensationalize such already sensational events !
As we've seen recently around the forums ( fora ? ) one guys' "opinion" is another guy's "judgemental" ; and while our own fantasies seem reasonable, other people's fantasies generally seem Ugh, pathetic, or amusing.
Psychopathology runs a wide range, from the mildly odd ( and most of us have a few parts of us that lie in that territory ), to the wildly bizarre and hard to believe. Some of the daft media at the time tried to blame the internet, when it was merely a method for making contact. OK, nowadays it's become easier for truly weird people to find each other. And if you're only turned on by a left-Handed Red-Headed dwarf with acne, you'll probably find a web-site devoted to fellow devotees, somewhere. Be concerned about the message, not the messenger.
Cannibalism in actuality is very rare, in fantasy a bit less so ; but this sort of willing participation in such a bizarre self-destruction is probably unique so far. Some miserable guys castrate themselves, but seldom to feed a pervert. It's not abnormal to find something interesting about such awful events, as mos of us are fascinated by the peculiar variations in humanity.
And it makes a change from the sick obsession of the TV News channels with the Tsunami, posting new deth-tolls every hour, as if they were cricket scores. Now THAt is sick.

4
Posted by: Matthew | 2005/01/08

Cybershrink is quite right here, why do people love watching the news with it's graphic insights into tragedies and bizarre overcoverage of certain things about these tragedies.
Princess Diana anyone??
It's all entertainment in a way I suppose, but what is really sad is when I see celebrity magazines and all they can go on about is this person is holding hands with this person, Britney shocking pictures of two zits, Brad is tanning, so and so has put on weight and so on. These magazines are quite bitter toward people and the fact that they love a certain celeb one month because they are hot in the oven at the time, and then slag them off the next month because their record sales are down or because their latest movie flopped. It just shows how two faced people can be and how they will do anything for money. I'd like to one magazine in particular, YOU magazine!
You magazine for years writhes on the filth it has been made up of.

Reply to Matthew
Posted by: Juzlisen | 2005/01/07

I watched it too - even though it was not evry graphic - i felt nauseous all through the programme - Oh it's quite disgusting.......yuk

Reply to Juzlisen
Posted by: Purple | 2005/01/07

If I'm not mistaken, this is something that happened in Germany last year.

I think that the guy who ate the bits of the now dead guy was sentenced to 8 years in prison recently. It was found that eventhough the now dead guy was a willing participant and knew the consequences that the eater should still not have done what he did (essentially killed the now penisless guy).

Oooh yuck!!

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Anon1 | 2005/01/07

Quite amazing but then again I suppose all of us have ideas, possibly likes, fantasies etc that make other people go yugh too!

I missed the programme, but, for some reason find topics like this quite fascinating, must be because of the shock factor?

Reply to Anon1