Question
Posted by: joey | 2004/01/12

abnormal periods

I am 50 and have had very irregular periods. A year ago I had a D & C. Nothing really changed after the op. This month my period started a few days late and was dark brown colourin colour. Almost like stale blood. The second day was a normal
red colour and the third day back to the dark brown. Is this anything to worry about. My period lasted three days.

At your age, the main concern with irregular periods is that there might be an underlying cause like a polyp or growth in the uterus. If the D&C was clear, it probably means that it is just hormonal, i.e. approaching the menopause. You should see a gynaecologist once a year to keep an eye on this though.