Question
Posted by: Prickly pear | 2007/06/12

Abnormal pap smear

I had an abnormal pap smear, with some infection reflected as well. It is sore during intercourse as well. The doctor prescribed Dalacin cream and said I should visit him again in 3 months. This seems a bit long to let something potentially serious lie in limbo. What is the normal follow-up period? Should I maybe seek to see him earlier (it is very very difficult to get an appointment)?

You doctor should have explained that Dalacin is a an antibacterial called clindamycin.
The recommended dose is 1 applicatorful (5 g) of vaginal cream intravaginally at bedtime for 7 consecutive nights. This is equivalent to approximately 100 mg of clindamycin (as clindamycin phosphate).
Clindamycin has been shown to act against the following organisms: Mobiluncus species, M. hominis, G. vaginalis , Bacteroides species and Peptostreptococcus species. These are the organisms that causes smelly copious vaginal discharge= Bacterial Vaginosis.
Your treatment should be improving your symptoms and a 3 month followup is to ensure that you are feeling better. You sexual partner alsonees treatment for an STI which he can get from your GP. Men don't have discharges but harbor the organisms which can reinfect you if you should have intercourse before he is treated.