Question
Posted by: Yo yo | 2004/11/16

Abnormal cravings

Over the past few years of trying to lose weight, I have increasingly noticed a strange pattern of cravings on some days, and being very "good" on my eating plan on others. I go to a dietician and have about 15kg to lose, and a balanced diet to follow, but every now and then (maybe twice a week) I am overwhelmed by an urge to overeat, and will go to a shop and buy a host of fattening, greasy and sugary foods which I will eat in one go alone at home (this habit also often involves vomitting). This is followed by guilt, a few days of being very "good" and then the cravings will hit again. Why do I do this? Is it a physical or mental thing??

This is typical binging behaviour, as you describe it, especially when followed by vomiting, and is typical of Bulimia. Seeing a shrink expert in eating disorders might help, as this can become a dominant patern and a disorder in its own right.

1
Posted by: cathy | 2004/11/16

CS is correct about your disorder but I've been there and recovered without seeing a shrink. Why dont alcoholics, womanisers, sluts etc get advised to see shrinks.

Its actually a bit of both (physical and mental) but definately controlable and curable. However excuses wont help so you need to takkle the problem by doing some introspection.
When did you start gaining weight & importantly why? I was not eating more than before, but age slowed my metabolism and I didnt excersise as before hence I also picked up about 15kgs.

However, I realised that I binged when I was emotional. I started to control that urge but keeping myself busy when stressed and telling myself that food wont solve it.

Sugar & carbs also increase your cravings (they increase insulin levels which cause cravings). Have you noticed how you can not eat the whole day and still be fine, yet the moment you put something in your mouth you crave?

Also, dont deprive the body becoz that causes cravings too. To loose the 15kgs (in 4 months) and not deprive myself I ate anything but from a side plate. Life is about self control and dont get bogged to visiting shrinks because no matter what they say you still have to go home and make the effort to loose.
If you eat fat, you'll store fat, that simple. Like with anything else in life, it's all about choices and conscequenses of our choices.
Believe me most thin people actually make serious efforts to be thin. Concentrate on a healthy life style, maybe join Weighless for assistance. Yes its not easy, Good luck.

Reply to cathy