Posted by: anxious | 2008/06/20


Hi Doc

Given that I have an IBS problem and recently had very bad constipation (which does seem better at the moment) is there any possibility I have an inflammed colon problem, having had the following symptoms?

Over the last 7-10 days I have had on/off bouts of bad nausea and then was going to the loo a million times during the day. I didnt pay much attention to this, but then Wed evening I got this really bad abdominal pain out of the blue (it was across the whole of my front area - left to right) - then it went away (I didnt take anything for it). That then worried me about possibly being my kidney infection so I phoned my urologist's rooms yest am (my gp is away and only back on 23/6) to ask to hand in a urine MC&S - he gave me a Stemetil script yest and phoned my at lunch time today saying my urine was absolutely fine - my slight concern is he said it sounds like a stomach/colon problem. I didnt get round to asking him why he particularly mentioned colon and when I thought of phoning him back to ask him he seemed to have gone back to theatre - his phone was on the answering machine. I figured this am that part of the reason for my nausea could be because I never ate yest or last night so I ate this morning (ok so maybe the egg wasnt such a good idea, but then I hadnt had vomiting apart from 1 bout yest early pm, wihch wasnt excessively bad!) I had scrambled egg and a croissant and was violently ill straight afterwards! I took Stemetil about 1/2 hr afterwards (10:30 am) and have been fine at the moment. My question is do I just have a stomach bug (I have heard there are a lot of people with this at the moment) and do I need to take anything else other than the Stemetil for it if this is what I have or do I need to worry about a possible colon problem as my urologist said and mention it to my gp when he is back on Mon? I haven't had that severe abdomonial pain since Wed - I did get a bit of pain yest but nothing like Wed and this was on the front right side. Do I need to worry at all?

Thanks for the help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Thank you for visiting

You should consider consulting a gastroenterologist to have a colonoscopy done, to exclude any possible colon pathology. It is possible that you just had a severe stomach bug that will clear soon but to put your mind at ease, you should go for the colonoscopy.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.