Question
Posted by: Meg | 2007/05/14

Abdominal pain--cramps

I have been suffering with cramp like pains in my abdomin for +/- 2 weeks. The cramps were slightly painfull and came and gone (more uncomfortable then painfull). I went to the doctor and he examined me ( when he pushed my tummy it was sore).... he couldnt find anything. Also went for a scan and they said everything looked normal. So doc put me on 3 day antibiotics. At that time the cramps were just uncomfortable but in the last couple of days, the cramps have been getting worse. I cannot pin point and say it's in the side or middle cause the pain moves around. But if i push slightly a severe pain occurs. I feel bloated and uncomfortable. The doctor says that the antibiotics should sort it out but i have been off them a couple of days and I am suffering. I feel like I have a slight temperture sometimes and get very hot at night. My tummy is very tender and bloated. Do you have any suggestions! I am worried as I know something is wrong not sure what. Any advice?

Dear meg
You may have an infection in the bowel, especially if you feel feverish – do you still have your appendix in? Do you have diarrhoea? Please ask your doctor to take a white cell count, if elevated, he may need to give you a stronger antibiotic. Also try using probiotics three times a day plus taking an antispasmodic ( ask your pharmacist). Putting a hot water bottle on your tummy may help.

1
Posted by: Meg | 2007/05/15

I do still have my appendix in... the doctor however says that if it was my appendix I 'd be in severe pain yet a friend of mine had cramps for 3 weeks before they picked it up! So I dont know whether I should doubt his method. I dont have diarrhoea or am not constipated. I agree with you, maybe I should go for blood count. I have tried to keep my tummy warm, usally with period pain or normal cramps... having warm bath with warm face cloth calms the cramps but it hasnt been working with these cramps. Is an bowel infection dangerous?

Thanks for the advice
Meg

Reply to Meg