Question
Posted by: stormtrooper | 2004/11/14

abdominal exercise form and transverse abdominus

Hi there, me again, 21 male with skinny body, basically with very little fat obviously.
When I do crunches my abs stick out, like they push out. The whole abdominal wall pushes out. I think this is called abdominal distension? I may be wrong.
Is this because my transverse abdominus which is supposed to hold my guts in the correct position weak??
I have lordosis and my lower abdominal area seems to hump out a little bit.
Obviously to correct the lordosis I strengthen the abs and stretch the spinal erectors.
What exercises are there to strengthen the transverse abdominus?
I swear, I never work my abs because I hate it but I think I really should because my abdominal wall seems to hang out as if it's battling to hold in my internal organs!! haha! (This is while standing).
Maybe it just looks like that because of the lordosis though.
Thanks for your help.

HI there

Abdominal distension is a more medical term as I understand it. It means general distension of the abdomen, and is more often than not associated with gastroenterology - things like alcohol, high fibre or high fatty foods, food allergies - not so much muscular. Having said that, I do think that it is probably good to strengthen the transverse abdominus, because everyone really needs to work on this muscle, because its function is spinal stability. TO see some exercises, I would have a look at the following website, which is pretty useful for explanations and pictures.

One thing that you must remember is that while you can strengthen this muscle and improve your posture, it is also a conscious thing, where you have to make an effort in sitting, standing, doing everyday things, to also improve your stability. Lastly, remember that cardio is perhaps even more important in all this, as I may have mentioned previously. You have to focus on cardio, because this type of problem is not simply a case of weak abs- it is also a case of areas in the body where fat accumulates - in men, it's the stomach, in women it is thighs and hips, but the solution is the same, regular cardio combined with strengthening the abs.

Good luc

1
Posted by: J | 2006/02/27

My abdominal muscles stick out like a belly while my obiques are flat. I run everyday and it seems to have gotten worse since I've been running. How can I flatten them?

Reply to J