Question
Posted by: Kyle | 2007/07/16

Abdominal bloating and pain

Hi. I am a 39 year old male, weighing 100kg, have excess weight on my stomach but otherwise am not obese. I was qutie active but have recently spent a lot of time in front of the computer. For a very long time (two years) I have had discomfort in my upper abdmoninal area (mainly on the left side) I also occassionaly have a twinge or pain in the same area when I have gas in my stomach.
For the last 4 days my stomach has bloated up, there has been no pain but there has been discomfort, I have not been hungry at all and the bloating is worse after I drink or eat something. My bowel movements have been fairly normal, just a little less. I had slight nausea this morning but this could be from lack of eating. I did have a big meal yesterday afternoon but I got lots of bloating straight afterwards. My urine looked slightly reddish this morning and I think I noticed that my stools also had a reddish tinge. The curry I had yesterday was all red ?.

Dear Kyle
I would recommend that you have a medical check up ASAP because the symptoms you describe may be indicative of ulcers, gastritis, gallstones or gallbladder disease, or irritable bowel syndrome. The fact that your urine and stools are coloured red today may just be due to the colourant in the curry, BUT this could also be blood and would, therefore, be a sign of a bleeding ulcer among other conditions. So see the dr and when we have a diagnosis we can look at what to do about your diet.