Question
Posted by: Riaan | 2007/05/11

a second opinion on Piles please

i went to the doctor today regarding piles on my rectum and he said it wasnt piles it looks like warts and then he changed his mind to skin tags and also said it could be because of previously removed piles but the thing is ive seen my piles previously and i know how they look and first i had one then it became more than one so how can that be. Im very worried since im a homosexual and the doctor told me that these skin tags are nothing to worry about - but i know they are there and it still looks like new piles to me please give me some advice

Dear Riaan
Piles are hemorrhoids, so they will be blueish ( have blood in them). You have a group of veins in that area so you can develop more than one pile. The skin of the anus also makes folds that helps you not to "leak" so skin tags is to a certain extent normal. If you are worried, get a second opinion from even your GP.
If you look at this picture:http://www.analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu/screening/images/anusdiagram_final.jpg
The blue spots are veins that can cause possible hemorroids, so you will see that you can get internal or external hemorroids. Warts will look like miniature cauliflowers and will be irregular and also on the skin next to the anus, skin tags will look like it comes out of the anus.