Question
Posted by: Outside opinion | 2004/01/22

A question for HIV Expert

Hi ;

Referring to the earlier question posted by 'sinderalla' entitled 'reliabiality of HIV test'

As someone that has being doing a lot of research into the disease I think that my reply to the question was reasonable and informed

The accepted window period is 3 months and an Eliza test done after this period ( 3 months AFTER LAST SUSPECTED EXPOSURE ) is considered definitive
Obviously should the result come back positive this is confirmed by Western Blot and a second Eliza
Rapid Tests are used extensively overseas but have yet to be used in general testing in South Africa , so I would be inclined to rely on the accuracy of Elisa tests which have been developed to be extremely sensitive to the presence of any antibodies ( Even on this website the window period is mentioned as generally being 4 to 6 weeks , but to ensure 100% accuracy the time period is 3 months to be definitive )

Your opinion / comments would be appreciated

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

I agree