Posted by: Tango | 2008/06/29

A moggy........maybe!

Dear CS

Ever since my two children officially left home I have toyed with the idea of getting a cat. I am an ardent cat lover, and the only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact I live in a complex - I get the idea you do not? I am surrounded by cat haters!! I have had plain tabby cats cats all my life till I moved into a sectional title place.

All my life I have desperately wanted a pedigreed Persian cat. I think I will get one. I need to have something else in the life to lavish undivided attention on!!!! A dear friend has a magnificent Persian called Lady, and although very fussy about who comes into her space, she allows me the priveledge. She is soft and very exotic looking, aristocratic, lazy and a prefect companion!

Gosh - not to start saving a few shekels!! Take care!

I identify completely with your emotions and thoughts here. We were always dog persons ( espcially Scottie dogs ), but after a long petless drought, inherited three kittens left in our garden by a feral mother cat from the wild hillside, and these kittens proceeded to teach us to appreciate cats.
As someone once said, the Egyptians used to worship cats, and no cat has ever forgotten that.
I have always liked ordinary cats ( is any cat every ordinary ? ) --MM was I gather a Calico Cat or Tuxedo cat, with his specific black and white markings. But I understand that the more exotic breeds can be more neurotic, demanding, and maybe less affectionate. I suppose you will want to look for a breed or type what would be intensely territorial about your specific home, and have no interest whatever in wandering towards anyone else's section.

Posted by: anon | 2008/06/30

After watching Oprah today, I will definitely only obtain my future pet/s from a rescue centre.....its also very irresponsible for anyone owning pets not to have them neutered or spayed. There are too many unwanted pets in this world.....very sad.

Pets will not stray if they are spayed and neutered as much if they have not been as hormones, like testosterone makes them stray and wander and they can smell a female from miles away.

On Oprah they showed areas in the Us where pets are farmed like livestock, dogs that have never walked on grass and kept in pens.....and the adults made to breed their whole lives....very sad, and the saddest part of all, they found in those Amish communities to be the worst...they saw dogs as a commodity like corn and the animals never had a name, never had love, no exercise, oh it was heartbreaking!

I would definitely not keep an animal if I had to keep it in a cage....pets need love, care and company!

Reply to anon
Posted by: Maria | 2008/06/30

Before I got a cat (now have three), I took several cat books out of the library. I was amazed at the lengths people went to to ensure that their cats don't stray off their property. Apart from obviously keeping them inside all the time, some people build "cages", or put high wire fences that the cat can't climb around their yards.

Reply to Maria