Posted by: worried as hell | 2007/12/12

A lot of Gynea problems

My girlfriend has been having recurring vaginal infections for the past 2 years, starting soon after we started having sex.
The symptoms include itching, painful intercourse(this is constant, even when there is no infection), white discharge, excessive bleeding during periods and painful periods, which cause back pain and pain in the upper thighs.
I get tested for STDs regularly and have always been negative and so has she.

She has been treated for UTI, candida (several times) and seen various docs and gyneas, with no success.

We suspected that she may have endemetriosis, but now my ex-girlfriend told me that she has been suffering from exactly the same symptoms for the past few years. this seem s to be too much of a coincidence and I am hoping someone could help.

What could it be?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Worried
Endometriosis will give painful periods but not infections. She may have a chronic low grade candida infection or chronic low grade pelvic infection. If she is on the pill, try stopping the pill for a while (use condoms). She may need a sonar of the pelvis, and a papsmear or endometrial biopsy to confirm diagnosis of infection. If endometriosis is suspected, she may need a laparoscopic examination under anaesthetic.
It may be worth testing for Chlamydia.
see also
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Me again | 2007/12/14

thanks for the reply.

She has had all of those, and it was found that she had some scarring on her womb as a result of the recurring infections. Like I said, she has been treated for candida several times, with no effect and we have been tested for stds as well.

I forgot to mention that she also has a slight case of hirsutism (not really much, and we wrote this off as a result of her being greek :) could it be PSOD?

A gynea has said that she is likely to have a chronic pelvic infection, but what worries me is that my ex is suffering from the same problems, meaning that I am most likely the cause.

Is it possible that the std tests I have had failed to pick up Chlamydia? Can it be tested for through a blood sample or only through a culture? I'm asking because my std tests have all only consisted of blood samples, with the exception of one that involved a urine test.

Reply to Me again

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.