Question
Posted by: Samoa | 2007/03/08

A FEW QUESTIONS

I HAVE BEEN ON THE INJECTION (3 MONTH PERIOD) FOR +- 10 YEARS NOW. I HAVE GRADUALLY PICKED UP A LOT OF WEIGHT.
I HAVE READ THAT THE INJECTION CAUSES WEIGHT GAIN, IS THIS TRUE?
I HAVE READ OF TERRIBLE DISCHARGES OF PEOPLE WHO STOPPED USING THE INJECTION, IS THIS TRUE?
I AM THINKING OF STOPPING THE USE OF THE INJECTION TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP TO LOOSE WEIGHT FOR I HAVE TRIED ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING TO LOOSE WEIGHT BUT NOTHING, I AM NOT LOOSING ANY WEIGHT, BUT I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE DISCHARGE ETC. I SINCERELY HOPE THAT MY PERIODS STAY AWAY FOREVER. OH, I AM 40 YEARS OLD.
THANKS

It is true that the injection causes weight gain in some women.
You should not have a discharge related to stopping the injection. It can take up to a year before your periods return.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2007/03/08

The injection can make you gain weight. Once you stop it, it can take up to 9 months to a year for your cycles to regulate. Since you are 40, and I'm assuming you haven't gone through menopause, your periods will return after stopping the injection after a few months or even immediately.
You should maybe consider the Mirena IUD as it can stop your periods or lighten them drastically, lasts for 5 yrs, is 99% effective, secretes a minute amount of progesterone directly into the uterus so there are very minimal side-effects, but the cost is around R2500 and it has to be inserted by a gynae and is done in the doctors rooms:)

Reply to Maya