Question
Posted by: Panda | 2004/10/19

A few questions\

I was on antibiotics and of course that null and voids the pill, and once I had finished the antibiotics I was aware of the two week unsafe period for the pill to kick in again. During those two weeks a condom was used but once the pull out method was used. 4 days later I got my period and during that cycle I finished the "unsafe" period. I should be expecting my next period in a week and a half.

What I would like to know is the following:
- Does pre-ejaculation fluid carry sperm?
- How quickly does an egg get fertilised? Ie in four days would I have missed my period if fertilisation was succesful or would it only effect my next period?
- How many days after sex can you have a pregnancy test to show an accurate reading?

I would appreciate that my questions not be criticised as I am a married woman in my late twenties and I'm sure there are a lot of woman out there with the same questions!

Thank you GynaeDoc

Some pre-ejaculatory fluid does carry sperm. Fertilisation happens in days but you would only miss a period at the next expected period.
Accurate preg tests are after missed periods usually
If you had a period you are unlikely to be pregnant.

1
Posted by: me | 2004/10/19

As far as I know-
1) Yes pre ejaculation fluid can contain sperm
2) Sperm can stay alive in your body for something like 36hrs so if you ovulated even three days after the incident, you could still be preggies
3) You'll have to wait till at least the first due day of your next period before you can get an accurate preg test result. Sometimes a urine test doesn't show a positive till several days after your period is due. A blood test would tell you sooner, but not before your due date for your period.

Hope this all helps!

Reply to me