Question
Posted by: becca | 2007/12/12

A calorie related question

Hi Doc,

Could you please tell how many calories a teaspoon of Extra Olive Oil and teaspoon of Flaxseed OIl contain? One other thing, would you recommend eating a quarter of avocado each day? I am trying to lose weight by following a low fat diet and I'm worried I might be consuming too much fat, even if it is polysaturated (that's the good one right?).

Currently my diet contains 1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil, quarter an avocado in my salad for lunch and 3 teaspoons of olive oil for my fish/chicken. I exercise everyday for an hour each day and still my progress has been stagnant.

Thanks for all your usual helpful advice.

Dear Becca
All oils contain 9 calories per gram, thus a teaspoon which weighs about 5g will contribute 45 cal to your energy intake no matter which oil you use. Your present fat intake amounts to 5 portions a day which is not excessive and you can certainly use a quarter of an avocado a day as one of your fat portions. Generally speaking even a low-fat diet can contain up to about 50g of fat and in your case you are only ingesting about 30g. Why you are not losing weight also puzzles me if you are using a low-fat diet and doing an hour's exercise a day. It may help to increase the intensity of the exercise a bit to see if this will prompt weight loss.

1
Posted by: becca | 2007/12/12

Edit: That was a Teaspoon of Flaxseed Oil but you probably knew that :)

Reply to becca