Question
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/03/08

A anti-tripsin deficiency

Hi doc
My husband and all his siblings have passed away from the above lung disease.
We have had 2 daughters and apparently I have to have them tested for this every 2 years. They are now 14 and 11.
What are the chances of them becoming active and can we genetically test them to see if they are carries of this illness?

Does a cure exists for this by now?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Kippie

Yes, genetic testing for anti-trypsin deficiency is available and it should be possible to arrange testing for your daughters. There is no cure at present, but treatment in the pulmonary clinics is constantly improving. Avoidance of cigarette smoking is crucial.

Regards, Maritha