Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2019/08/15

Worried Girlfriend

Good day prof Simpson My boyfriend was diagnosed with Bipolar Depression in February. (Went to a type of stress rehab in Underburg, KZN) They prescribed the following medication at that time: Camcolit 250 Cilift 20mg Fluanxol 1mg I did extensive research on the pills that were prescribed. He had a massive dip in his mood, has had more and more suicidal thoughts the past few weeks, and he doesn't even know why he is so depressed. It's affecting his work, his relationship with me, his family and friends. One major red flag for me was Fluanxol, which is a drug prescribed for schizophrenia patients? Can the combination of pills maybe be the cause of this?? I also read, and I don't know how accurate the findings are, that prescribing an anti-depressant like Cilift with a lithium drug(primarily used for bipolar depression), can cause some serious side effects- mood wise?? Please advise

- 2019/08/16

Hi Lauren,
Sometimes there are very obvious reasons why one feels depressed : this form used to be called a Reactive Depression. Situations can arise in life which are so miserable anyone would feel depressed.  But in the more  common form of depression, and especially of Bipolar Depression, are caused more by chemical anomalies within the nervous system.  And for someone who likes to find logical explanations for everything, it can feel very frustrating not to be able to identify obvious factors in life which seem to explain why one is feeling so bad.
Often, treatment may include antidepressants (like the Cilift here ) to help with the depressions that arise, medication to help calm the manic / hyper episodes, and drugs called Mood Stabilizers such as the Camcolit in this case, Lithium, which helps to stabilize the extreme mood swings which can be so disabling.
Fluanxol ( Flupenthixol) is used mainly to treat depression and anxiety. It was, earlier, also used in psychotic illnesses like schizophrenia.
When depression is treated, it sometimes happens that as the mood starts to lift a little, paradoxically, someone may for a time think more of suicide, which is why I prefer to ensure that the individual also gets counselling and emotional support to help them through this phase.