Question
Posted by: | 2019/08/19

eating a lot of pronutro and passing smelly gas?

Hi Doc Lately I've been eating quite a lot of pronutro. I have lazy days where I sleep a lot and only get up to eat and use the bathroom. On these days I have several bowls of pronutro through the day because it's quick and easy food. However, although I've always been quite gassy, the gas is now so foul smelling it hangs in the air. It smells either rubbery or like chemicals. I would just like to know if this is normal?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/08/20

Thank you for your query.

An overall healthy diet, consisting of a variety of foods is required for good digestive system health. An excess of one particular food could lead to negative effects and so eating several bowls of Pronutro in one day is not recommended.  You could try cutting down on the Pronutro and seeing if the symptoms subside. An appointment with a Dietitian would also be helpful as the Dietitian would go through your current diet with you and recommend individualised changes to assist with reducing the excess gas. You can go to the Association for Dietetics in SA website to find a Dietitian in your area  http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx

If the symptoms persist you may also need to see your doctor to investigate the reasons for your symptoms.