Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2018/05/15

Will I ever fully recover from severe allergic reaction to Doxycycline?

I reacted badly to an antibiotic called doxycycline. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm still having issues with tension around the throat, thick-like heaviness when swallowing and tightness in the chest despite going back to the doctor 3 times. There's no swelling and to doctors my breathing seems fine - but I don't feel comfortable around my throat going down to my chest. I've been given medication such as prednisone and I still feel the same.

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2018/05/24

An allergy to medication like Doxycycline should not persist so long as 3 weeks. There is a possibility that the Doxycycline caused a Thrush (Candida) infection of the throat and gullet, and you need to have this infection treated. Prednisone could make the thrush infection worse and persist longer. Perhaps discuss this possibility with your GP.