Question
Posted by: Simon | 2020/01/28

Why did probiotics not work on me?

I had a stool test last year that determined I have too little esceria coli in me. I also was lacking a few lactos, but nothing major with them. I was taking probiotics, while eating a diet rich in fiber (I eat lot of chickpeas, lentils, buckwheat, etc veggies, mostly vegan, occasionally meat only) and my stool during most of the time was good (as it also was before). Now after 6 months of taking those probiotics that are supposed to be very good, not only has nothing changed, but my lactos are much less in numbers than before and my immune system is weaker. I can't see why this is the case

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2020/01/30

As we need billions of bacteria as well as a large variety of strains in ur gut, the stool teast are not always that reliable in determining the type of bacteria we need 

If your stool movements are regular soft and large in volume you most likely have the right combination of bacteria As you menioned the high fibre diet will ensure that they multiply and produce short chain fatty acids and other substances that will keep your immunity optimal