Question
Posted by: Sam | 2020/01/27

Who do I see about hair loss?

Good day. My sister has been suffering for years with heavy hair loss (worse even than me after my pregnancies and I already normally lose a fair amount myself). It has however been worsening to a point of her taking a whole handful of hairs out of the shower this evening after washing her hair. She has had hormonal problems, but is on a pill prescribed by a gynae and she has had a lot of stress at work off late. Who is the correct expert to go and see in the Helderberg/Cape Town area about a problem like this. She does not have a medical aid. The last dr she went to see about her hair loss gave her hormonal medicine that the gynae said was the worst possible choice for someone like her. We are worried about wasting money on seeing the wrong person yet again. Is it possible to get hormone tests done directly without a doctor? Thank you in advance.

- 2020/01/29

Hi Sam
It would actually be best to go to the gynae who prescribed the medication that she is currently using. You will be able to go for tests, but you won't get the results, they send the results to the doctor. If it is totally out of the question, then you can try and go to Helderberg Hospital outpatients, all the tests can be done there, and they might refer your sister to Tygerberg Hospital for further investigations. It does sound as if the hormonal problem is still present, even though she is on medication. Also, remember that stress can wreak havoc on one's body and can definitely contribute to her hair falling out. Good luck!