Question
Posted by: Bert | 2019/10/06

When can you be sure that you don't have HIV?

I had a possible HIV exposure after unprotected vaginal sex. I did a HIV test and STD test at 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. All tree test were negative. The only problem i find is that the index value of the HIV test is increased from 0,05 at 6 weeks to 0,06 at 3 months and 0,07 at 6 months. Do i have to be concerned? Also i still have symptoms like skin rash on arms, upper body and stomach. Also i have swollen lymph nodes in neck and returning sore throat. After my last test at 6 months my tongue was and is still very white/yellow and my palate was/is very red with red spots on it! Can i be sure that i don't have HIV? Thanks for your answer and help doctor! :D

- 2019/10/07

Hi Bert
If the test was negative after six months, then you are in the clear. You might have another viral infection brewing, in reference to the swollen lymph nodes and returning sore throat - this could be glandular fever, so please ask your doctor to test for this if he/she thinks that it could be a possibility. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.