Question
Posted by: Sian | 2020/03/11

What is casuing this mystery abdominal pain and what should I do?

Hi all I was wondering if anyone can help me please. I’m a 27 year old female , very fit, blood pressure normal (slightly raises when I’m anxious but still normal and healthy apparently) oxygen levels 100% and BPM anywhere between 45 beats per minute when resting and 75 beats per minute when a bit more stressed anxious (I do suffer from quite severe anxiety and ocd). I have stopped weight training as much but I used to weight train a lot and lift fairly heavy for a female of my size 172cm 60kg. I would bench 25-30kg and deadlift around 40-60kg. About 2 summers ago I felt an upper abdominal muscle strain / tear when I was doing a 5kg weighted ab exercise, i didn’t think much of it and I ignored it, I can’t remember if I did go to the doctors or much but I don’t remember it causing me too much hassle. anyway it’s 2 years on and I keep getting on and off stomach pain, first it started where I ‘strained’ my upper abdominal (on the left side) but recently it’s started to radiate anywhere from between under my left rib, to the centre and then to under the right rib. It mainly stays in the centre however right near my sternum but as I said it radiates and currently it feels as if it is where my liver is located. The pain / dull ache / pressure is worse when I project my voice in class (I am a teacher) and also worsens when driving and sometimes taking deep breaths. I can feel it sometimes when I lay on my side to sleep - it feels as if something is weak / dislodged. When I lay down flat on my back I can feel a weird dipping feeling right at the top of my abdomen / lower chest when breathing in, it almost has a ripping sensation but not quite. Anyway I’ve been to the doctors, first I went in November where they gave me an ultrasound and said there was nothing abnormal going on, they told me if the pain continued then I need to go back to the doctor and get different kind of scans or something- anyway by this point the pain had gone. When the pain first came on in November it was made worse by walking / laughing/ talking and seemed to stay around my left upper abdominal. The pain / pressure / ache now radiates and laughing doesn’t seemed to affect it just talking loudly engaging my diaphragm and moving in certain ways, sometimes eating too makes it feel more ‘pressure’. So I went back to the doctors the other day and he has prescribed me something for stomach acid even though I don’t have any burning sensations, he also has sent for another ultra sound and he felt

- 2020/03/27

Hi Sian

Your whole message did not come through, but I would suggest that your doctor send you for a gastroscopy to see if you do not have a diaphragmatic hernia. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.