Question
Posted by: Paula White | 2019/05/26

What foods or drugs to avoid when the gums are inflamed and sores under the tongue?

My father is 90 years old and his gums are red and inflamed and he has sores under his tongue on both the right and left sides. His tongue looks like the outside of a tennis ball, fuzzy and a yellow color. The sores under the tongue are painful and make it difficult to eat anything. His lips are also inflamed. A doctor took a biopsy and it is not cancerous nor is it lichen planus. The doctors are very confused as to what it might be. They believe it is caused by something he is taking internally such as food or a prescription, although he has not changed is diet or prescriptions. He has had these symptoms for over a month and it is causing a lot of pain, depression, and weight loss. He has been prescribed several different steroids, but the symptoms have not gone away. We are seeking a recommendation as to a specialist and any information on which food or drugs to avoid.

- 2019/06/07

Hi Paula

The first thing that comes to my mind is Candida - did the doctors test for this? Nystatin oral suspension is usually used in the treatment of oral Candida. It is worth mentioning this to the doctor, if it has not yet been considered. I suggest that you take him to a dermatologist if you cannot find the answer. I suggest that you ask the oral health expert on the health24 forum for advice as to which food or drugs to avoid in the meantime. Good luck.