Question
Posted by: Vanessa Russell | 2018/05/24

What can I expect from a cough that is related to bacterial pnuemonia?

My 2 yr old has been treated for strep pnuemo. Nothing was too severe yet. He recieved antibiotic shot and the a round of liquid antibiotic. He his still on the medicine day 8. How long will he be coughing up phlegm and choking on his mucus at night? Sometimes he throws up and has a reflux. How long is normal to do this?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/05/25

The cough can take up to a few weeks to subside.  As long as the fever has gone down and he is getting progressively better, it should be fine.  Generally, the cough doesn’t last for more than 7 to 10 days.