Question
Posted by: Janet Hamman | 2019/02/20

Mucus producing cough

What can I do about a mucus producing cough I have had for over 18 months now? I was in hospital for 8 days in December of 2017. I had the flu (type A) and pneumonia. I have been on numerous steroid packs, and antibiotics. I have had numerous chest X-ray's. They did the scope to withdraw fluid. Breathing tests and whooping call test to no avail. All they have me on right now is my Ventolin I haler and breathing machine. They say the walls of my esophagus walls have thickened and over produce mucus. Well.. What can we do about this? What can stop my cough. They are treating good symptoms only. What do you suggest. Please help me.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/02/26

I think they are telling you you have acid coming up your food pipe.  You are probably on strong antacid therapy.  It may also be that you have a post-nasal drip.  Have you tried steroid nasal spray and antihistamines.  Asthma is another possibility.  You need to see a respiratory physician/pulmonologist.

2
Posted by: chrisr | 2019/03/06

I’m afraid to take over the counter medication as I’m on dialysis 3days a week

Reply to chrisr
Posted by: firoz | 2019/02/25

I have hooping cough with dripping nose and white mucus. I am on successful medication for Hypertension and sugar problems. I am male -82 years old

Reply to firoz