Question
Posted by: | 2018/10/24

Weight loss

It seems that I only ever lose weight the week after my period has completely finished, yet I diet and exercise for the entire month. I have been tracking my weight for months now and it seems that I only start losing weight once my period has stopped. The weight loss is also for a week. I have PCOS and struggle to lose weight. Please can you tell me if there is a reason for this?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/11/01

Good Afternoon, PCOS is a complicated condition and one has to look at the condition as a whole. One needs to evaluate your hormone levels and then also e.g. check Vitamin D levels etc. In addition the diet also needs to be individualised e.g. we look at the total protein intake and if a variety of foods are consumed to support the goals. In addition the type of PCOS you have may also influence management, therefore from your question there may be several factors affecting your weight loss. Therefore I do recommend that you visit a Dietitian who has special interest in PCOS to assist you in your journey. Please visit www.adsa.org.za to find a dietitian nearest to you.