Question
Posted by: Incompetent | 2019/07/31

Viewed as incompetent at work.

Dear CyberShrink, I'm feeling very disheartened regarding my career please advise me. I work as a technician in a medical laboratory, my technical colleagues as well as the phlebotomists that need to consult me regarding tests, view me as incompetent (I've heard it being discussed a few times already) People don't look to me for guidance even though that is part of my function, but they rather consult my technical team member. Sometimes I feel that the people saying I'm incompetent or those who's guidance is sought out after my own, are actually less informed than myself. Is this at all related to a confidence issue? I am very uncertain of myself, could the fact that my colleagues have self-confidence make such a big difference? Or is it the for me to acknowledge that I am lacking and need to pull up my socks? I'm really hurt that I'm viewed as being incompetent even when I try so hard. Regards Incompetent

- 2019/08/01

Well, for a start, please don't call yourself Incompetent or call yourself that ! It sounds as though a major part of the problem you're describing is a lack of self-esteem and self-confidence.  You don't mention your exact position or qualifications, but you are surely well qualified, or you would not have been appointed to the job.  There are many possible reasons why you don't get coonsulted.  Maybe they were used to consulting the other folks before you began working here, and are just continuing their old habits ? Maybe the others sources of advice are lenient and let them get away with sub-standard work, and they worry that you might not.  (Good for you if that is the case ).
If there is a HR person or department,  it might be useful to have a chat with them, as they could have some useful suggestions.  You might also find it helpful to see a personal counsellor, to work on enhancing your self-confidence.
Are any of these people you work with friendly enough for you to chat with them, and ask them, mentioning that you feel puzzled that people don't feel free to consult you when that's part of your function, and you'd like to have a better relationship with them, and to be able to help them : you could ask such a person if they know why this seems to have become a problem, and what you could usefully do about it.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2019/08/10

I would take the advice of Cybershrink so kind of build up yourself on your own without anyone knowing - do it for yourself. But, you sound extremely intelligent and very good and diligent at what you do. I would think your good work shows in your performance appraisals? I think when you are ready (maybe after some counselling) that you should look for a new job where you are appreciated. I very much doubt you would have got this job without good qualifications as I know it is a specialised and very important job (someone that I know did this qualification). I think don't fret about them not coming to you for advice - as long as you know your did your best - save it for when you have a really good job and are consulted - right now let them get on with it and just do your best. Counselling isn't easy either so keeping in the background may work for you - I have a sales job and my marriage is ailing and I am at marriage counselling which my husband won't attend - I have to fake I am happy and in control because I am so out there in full view of clients and my colleagues and bosses that I almost wish I had a hidden job typing alone at home or something so I can recover in peace. Anyway, please post and let us know how you are doing. Also, never put yourself down there's often major jealousy at work when someone is quiet and gets on with the job like you - aka they're highly competent and don't need to be loud in order to make people think they are good, they just are. Tamsin