Question
Posted by: | 2019/10/14

Very weird and unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms

Hello, I purposely did not put word such as constipation or diarrhea in the title because I feel they would both not describe my symptoms properly. A few short details about myself before I describe my problem: I am 21 years old, generally healthy and fit. For the past few years I have been eating a very healthy, balanced and varied vegan diet composed of almost exclusively whole foods (grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables) and I have been doing very well on it until recently. I remember when I started this my digestion started functioning great. I would wake up in the morning and right away have a large easy bowel movement and feel light and empty and generally great throughout the day. Now, a few months ago, I can't pinpoint exactly when I started suffering from a form of constipation. Almost constant feelings of bloating and tightness in abdomen, never feeling empty always feeling like not everything came out when I have a bowel movement plus my stool is very pasty, sticky and messy. Sometimes I have lots of gas. I have become sensitive to foods I used to eat without trouble. For example I used to enjoy raw oats with some soy milk but now that gives me terrible indigestion (cooked is ok, as ok as can be in my current situation) I have done quite a lot of experimentation with my diet. I have tried cutting down on fiber. Made things worse. I have tried reintroducing animal products. Did not help much. Slightly easier on my system than legume proteins but still suffering from same issues. My bloodwork is fine. Iron, B12 both good. I went to a Gastroenterologist and he ran me through a bunch of tests - Celiac, salmonella, shigella and other infections. Stool culture. All negative. I don't even think he understood my symptoms properly. The appointment was short + I don't feel comfortable going into all these details the way I can online. So it seems he just [wrongly] assumed I have alternating periods of constipation and diarrhea (that's what he wrote one the report). Any idea what I might be suffering from? Thank you for your patience in reading this. Waiting for an answer.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/10/21

For optimal gut health we need Flora Fluids and Fibre  You not mentioning fluids BUT it is importnat to drink 6 glassses of water a day (still or sprakling it does not matter) Taking a good Pro biotic will top up all the good flora in your gut The best to buy is Vivomixx that you will find in most pharmacies The flora or billions of bacteria needs the fibre in food to live on, they produce then shotrt chain fatty acids that facilitate peristaltic movements Thus do not cut the fibre in your diet For bloating I do recommend you do the cooked oats and replace beans with canned lentils brown wild rice and quinoa Should this not help contact www.adsa.org.za to consult with a dietitian in your area